Sunday, September 2, 2012

Being Pro-Human

Feminist, radical feminist,anti-feminist, counter-feminist, new feminist...and I'm sure plenty of other terms that I'm not familiar with. You may not be familiar with all of these terms, but I'm pretty sure we're at least all familiar with the feminist movement. Now, before we get into this, and start talking about why I am closer to the support of "new feminism" than any of these other terms, though I really don't like the idea of labeling everyone and separating people into groups. I think that's strange, and not very loving. So, I like to think of myself as simply me, a super awesome person, who is pro-human. I don't think that any group of humans is any better than any other group. That's right folks, the Bible thumping Jesus freak thinks that she is no better, and no less than men, homosexuals, bisexuals, pan or omnisexuals, transgender people, Muslims, Jewish, Catholic, Hindu, Buddhist, Agnostic, Atheist, African, British, Mexican, Canadian, Chinese, Japanese, Maharishi, Baptist, Methodist, rich, poor, young, old, sick, healthy, tall, short, fat, thin, unborn baby humans, and the myriad of other "groups"  I failed to mention. I know that God loves all His children equally, and we are ALL His children, even those that turn from Him, He still loves you, He'll still welcome you into His house, all you gotta do is repent and ask Him into your heart, and trust me, your world will be rocked. So, as a daughter of Christ, it is my duty to love every one of God's creations, period, and I do. Now, just because I love you does that mean I am going to indulge your sinful behavior, and be like "it's cool, man, I love you, but not enough to care if you go to Hell or not." Heck no, I love you so much that I don't want you to go to Hell, I love you so much that, as lovingly as I can, I'm going to try and point out what the Bible says about the behavior you are engaging in. I expect the exact same from you, it's not easy, I've had my faults pointed out, and I'm glad they did it, we all need someone to hold us accountable. Listen, if I saw someone breaking the law, stealing, killing, beating someone, kidnapping, doing drugs, etc. would you expect me to turn a blind eye, or stand up and say something. I would want you to stand up and say something, and the same goes with God's law. I love you, and I love you enough to be able to still love you, but maybe not agree with all of your choices.

Now, stop getting me off track, this post is supposed to be about women, well, feminism to be exact.  In fact, according to my research, the "founding mothers" of feminism were also very pro-human as a whole. In fact, most of them were against abortion and would probably have a fit if they saw how perverted and twisted the feminine movement has become. Mary Wollstonecraft, Susan B. Anthony, and Elizabeth Cady Stanton were completely against abortion because (like me) they saw the value in human life. Ironically, the anti-abortion laws that feminists of today are so against, were a result of advocacy efforts by FEMINISTS! They saw that abortion was not just a "right that all women should have a choice in" but something that  women were pressured  into doing, they didn't see it as a freeing thing, like women of today do, they saw it as oppression. 

Feminists of today are NOT the feminists of the past that sought for equal treatment and respect of women. I feel like today feminism has gone so far beyond the right to vote, and work, and be seen as an equal in society, to more of a feeling of superiority, that women are better than men, and deserve, not equal, but better rights. That men are these horrible, evil creations that should be talked down to, trained, and molded into what women want them to be. That, as women, we have the right to "wear the pants" in our relationships, and any woman who "submits" to her husband is a horribly oppressed person, and men are evil, did I mention that?  Now, I am not at all saying that their aren't women out there who are being oppressed, and abused. And I'm not saying that's okay. Not at all. No person, man, woman, child, or unborn baby deserves to be thought of as less than, abused, forced into something, or have their basic rights stripped away. 


I was a born and raised feminist, I consider myself a "recovering feminist" I was taught to believe that women were superior, that we did not need men to raise children, that all men were exactly alike, users and abusers, and that women were created entirely equal to men. No, women and men, while of equal value and worth, deserving of equal treatment, are created entirely different. Biologically speaking we are very different, even our general nature is different. I see it all the time even in young children, the boys like to protect, while the girls like to seek out help and protection. I'm sure you understand the basic biological differences in men and women, and that I don't have to go into the birds and the bees for you. See, we are not the same as men, we are different. That doesn't make us better, or worse. Just not exactly the same. 


Being a woman is not a bad thing, it's a super awesome, amazing thing! Do you know what our bodies are capable of? We can grow life inside of us, our bodies adjust and change in accordance with what our children need, even after they are born. We are all (men too) such amazing creations, just being created in and of itself is an amazing thing, so many things have to go just perfectly in order for a person to be conceived, it's completely mind blowing when you think about it. I can't even put into words how awesome we are, amazing, it's simply amazing! Just think of the transformation we go through between conception and birth, we start out as forty six chromosomes that contain a mesh of information about who we will be (hair color, eye color, gender and even basic personality traits) at that point we are teeny, tiny, microscopic. In just nine short months we go through all of the "fine tuning" the changes that take us from microscopic to a baby! Even after we're born, the rest of our lives are spent fine tuning who we are, and the amount of growth one human goes through (physical and emotional) from conception to death is just spectacular and amazing. 


I think feminists today seem to miss the amazing wonder that is simply being human. Sometimes I think we are blinded by a cause, and this elitist mentality. Sometimes the things that feminists fight for just boggle my mind. I think that they miss how demeaning and oppressive some of the things they fight for are to women. 


Birth control, first of all, is not a "healthcare" need. Pregnancy is not a disease, and sex is not a requirement. I completely confused by this whole "stay out of my uterus" when it comes to abortion...but, buy me stuff for it type of argument. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Anyway, besides that the fact that it's a group one carcinogen, it has aided in the objectification of women. Seriously. You're on birth control, therefore you can have sex with whomever you want and not worry about the natural consequence of it, and if it fails, that's all on you. Instead of men honoring and respecting our bodies as the amazing things that they are we tell them it's okay not to...and then yell that they don't? Don't worry, I'm just as confused as you are.We've made it the woman's responsibility to make sure SHE doesn't get herself pregnant, what the heck happened to men's accountability? If you are mature enough to have sex, then you are also, by default saying that you are mature enough to live with the consequences. With natural birth control methods (NFP) both parties are involved, and both parties are responsible for the creation, or prevention of a new life.  With hormonal birth control  it's all on the woman, she has to make the appointments, she has to remember to take the pill, or schedule her shot, she has to make sure she's using it correctly, etc. I don't know about you, but that sounds awfully anti-feminist to me.


Abortion, same deal. Most women are pressured into them, whether directly, or indirectly. When I say indirectly I mean with things like "he won't help" "I'll be a single mom" "he's not ready to be a dad" "this isn't what he wants" and the list goes on. I guess I just don't see how these things have become huge feminist platforms when they both seem quite the opposite to me. Fair pay, rights to work, and anti discrimination platforms, I get. This, I don't get. I don't get how you can say that everyone is created equal and then say that you are above someone else, I don't get how you can say that being a housewife is oppressive, but be totally chill with being objectified in these [and other] ways. 


When babies are aborted because of their gender, what gender do you think gets aborted most often? That's right, females, and what do females become? WOMEN! So, let me get this straight, you are all about women's rights, except, of course the women that can't speak for themselves...um, okay? I always hear the question "what if that baby you saved is a future terrorist?" so, let me be the devil's advocate here and turn this around on you, what if that baby girl you just murdered was the future leader of the feminist movement? This is a cause I can see feminists getting behind, no gender based abortions. 

Then we have this whole treat men like crap and then whine when they suck thing going on, what the heck is up with THAT? This is so illogical...and I should know, I did it the first few months of my marriage (see here for a confession of my idiocy) I am lucky that I have a husband who was raised to honor and cherish his wife, period. Even if the woman divorces him, he is still faithful to her (true story about his dad, I may tell it some day) Anyway, I am lucky that I married a man who will put up with my feminist better than him crap, not all men are that awesome. Here's the deal, we're taught that men are wrong and stupid, and that they are of less value than women, I'm not sure why...maybe because we have vaginas and can have babies? Maybe because they've allowed us to treat them that way, and have started acting in accordance with the way we expect them to act? I really don't know, but that's how I was raised, and that's what the media feeds us. It's not true, we've done this to ourselves, as women. 

We've told men they don't have to open doors, so they don't. We've told men we can pay for dinner, so they stop offering. We've told men we don't value our bodies, so they don't either. We've told men we don't need them to raise children, so they don't stick around. Now, I know that we have exceptions to every rule, I know several, and I married one. For the vast majority, this is true. See, we send the message that we don't need these things, and then expect them, and complain when we don't get them. Now, I'm not at all saying that because of the way women act they deserve to be raped or beaten, or treated like crap.

No, those men will always, and have always existed. The difference is they used to be the exception, and are now becoming the rule. I'm saying that if you stand up and say "I value my body, I am worth more than sex, I am a catch, and I deserve a good guy" and then act accordingly, then chances are you are going to attract a man that values your body, a man that wants you for more than sex, a man that know how fantastic you are and a man that will do anything to continue being with you, because you rock. 

But, on the flip side, if you project that you don't care about yourself, if you project that all you are worth is sex, because it's your body and you can have sex with who you want, when you want...then you are going to attract men that want to have sex with you..and, well, that's pretty much it, and then find someone else that wants to do the same as soon as you get boring or figure out that he's an idiot. 

I just don't get it. So, I'll just keep being awesome, and pro-human, I'll keep telling you what I think, and I'll keep being treated awesome by husband, and doing the same for him. To me, saying I am pro-human says that I believe that men, women, children and unborn babies all deserve to be loved and valued, no matter their race, age, gender, religious standing, or political beliefs. I think we should all be more pro-human...that is of course, if you are human, and think you should be treated with respect and dignity and that other humans should be too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts...seriously, I get so excited when I get comments! =)